Thursday, January 29, 2009

Strengths and Weaknesses with Communication

This is a picture of me and my grandmother.

For this exercise I interviewed my friend Meaghan who I have known since freshman year in High School. She is one of my closest friends and is always completely honest with me so I knew if someone was going to tell me the truth then it would be her. I also interviewed my grandmother Peggy. I interviewed her because we have a really good relationship but do not always see eye to eye with each other.

My Strengths: My friend Meaghan said that I was very outgoing and not afraid to ask hard questions or afraid of any topic. She also said that I was not afraid to debate a topic with someone and to stick up for my beliefs and then being able to back up my points with actual thoughts. Meaghan also said that I am very well spoken and am usually knowledgeable about something if I bring it up. My grandmother also thought that I was very good about getting a point across. She said that when I have a point to make I don’t talk in circles, this is something my mother does and it drives her nuts. She also commented on my facial expressions saying that I am always sincere when talking with her and I smile a lot.

My Weaknesses: Meaghan said that when talking I can get sidetracked off topic easily and start talking about something else entirely. She also said that sometimes when talking to others I can lack tact and may say things a little too bluntly at times. My grandmother said that when people give me criticism or advice that I do not like or agree with then I can get upset about it or I will ignore what they are saying.

What I should work on:
Overall I think that I need to work on taking criticism better. When ever someone gives me criticism about myself as a person I feel like they are being mean or hurtful while in reality they are just trying to give me advice. I should also work on having more tact when speaking to people. This is something I have been working on for years and feel like most of the time I use tact except for when I’m upset or completely disagree with someone. I don’t think I get sidetracked when I talk about the important things, I feel like this is something I only do when talking to my friends, which still doesn’t make it right.

2 comments:

  1. im glad you chose your grandma..i can kind of relate by choosing my mom since we don't always see eye to eye. that's the beauty of family though, they'll always love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to the criticism part, that was in mine as well. Its hard, but you have to think of it as constructive instead of mean.

    Did you think that these were going to be your strengths and weaknesses or were you surprised by what they had to say?

    ReplyDelete